Monday, January 30, 2012

self-discovery

what january is almost over??

I haven't posted since december which seems so long ago, and I know I haven't been posting consistently. I've been getting myself pretty busy lately, which is good. I needed some time to take a mental break and sort certain things out in my life, which has happened and now my mind is a lot more clear and ready to get back into things.

I've rediscovered how much I love to learn. I've always been extremely curious, but for some time in the past I wasn't pursuing my interests as much as I used to. I stopped reading voraciously, running and exercising wasn't as fun as it used to be, and even with my drawing was more of a defense mechanism and habit than a true hobby or way of learning. I go to the library about twice a week and browse or check a few out. Currently I'm reading Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, which I've always wanted to. I'm running at least 3 miles four times a week and enjoying it, I even went swimming yesterday. I started a new sketchbook and am REALLY enjoying using it. It's like my own little observational journal, where I stalk people on the bus or draw my face for practice or doodle from my mind or books I like. I had the same sketchbook for 2 years which was a really terrible time in my life where I couldn't draw shit and wasn't enjoying it very much.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that I've been rediscovering myself. I do things because I'm curious or because I like to. There's no point in doing something just because you're told to or because it's expected of you. I've remembered how bold I used to be a very long time ago, and who I always was but wasn't expressing. I'm relearning not to apologize for who I am and what interests me. It's a really great feeling.
-

I've been making schedules for myself to be productive and manage all the things I want to do. DO ALL THE THINGS! haha really I learn so much everyday and want to do even more, it's madness.

I'm stockpiling tons of work right now and slowly posting to various places, so I'm getting pretty psyched about it and hope you will too.

I decided that each of my accounts/websites should have a purpose, to make things more interesting and easier for me (and hopefully y'all) to navigate or follow.

deviantart = pretty much all art I do, or at least a large chunk of it if it's a multi-piece/large project.
tumblr = sketchbook entries, photos, observations, very small pieces of writing (like quotes of rhetorical questions), and random doodles that probably have to do with fandoms or things I like
blogspot = my larger pieces of writing, mainly for self-use like a journal, school projects, multi-piece/large projects
facebook = how to get in touch with me socially I guess, I post random pieces of work there but not really anything worth documenting

2 comments:

  1. That's so rad, Mollie!! I'm glad things are going well for you. I've been in a similar rut re: reading, drawing, and life in general, and I think I'm finally getting out of it too.
    Go us!

    PS. Your hair is short and pink now!! That is so excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charlotte. :> It's been a lot of work so far but I think I'm on a really good breakthrough and am going to grab on to it.

      Yes!! I really am happy to have cut all my hair off. Although this picture is outdated to me, it's from early December and since then my hair has been this magenta, bleached, emerald green, and now almost done with turquoise. my hair has grown quite a bit too so I decided to restyle it myself a bit!

      Delete